We have developed this policy because we want you to feel confident about the privacy and security of your personal information while visiting our website.
- Who are we?
- What personal information do we collect about you, and when do we collect it?
- What personal information do we collect about you from other companies and organisations?
- Do we share your personal information with anyone else?
- For how long does Macalby Cottage keep personal information?
- How can I find out what personal information Macalby Cottage holds about me?
- How can I change the personal information Macalby Cottage holds about me?
- How do we protect your personal information?
- Are third party sites covered by this policy?
Who are we?
Macalby Cottage is a unique cottage found in harlyn Bay in Cornwall, perfect for the whole family.
We have developed this policy because we want you to feel confident about the privacy and security of your personal information. Macalby Cottage is governed by data protection laws and takes all reasonable care to prevent any unauthorised access to your personal information.
What personal information do we collect about you, and when do we collect it?
We may ask you for information to enable us to provide a service to you and we collect this information by telephone, written correspondence or via a website. We may ask you for information including your name, private/business address, contact telephone numbers and email address. We may also ask you for other information that relates to the service you are using or ordering. For example, we may need your credit card number to charge you for certain services.
- If you enter into any of our competitions or promotions, we may ask for information about you, which will be made clear at the time you enter. We will also inform you of the purposes for which the information you provide may be used.
- We may ask you from time to time about what use you make of the services we provide, what other services you would like us to provide in the future, and for other information, such as lifestyle data.
- We collect information from visitors to our websites to help us to make improvements to the websites and to the services we make available. We know, for instance, how many visitors there are to each website, when they visited, for how long and to which areas of our website they went. We may share this information with our advertisers and to other companies which offer their goods or services on our website. It helps to show these organisations how effective our websites are as sales channels for their products. You or any other individual cannot be identified from the information we share as the data is aggregated and anonymised.
We do not use this information to:
- Identify individuals visiting our website; or
- Analyse your visits to any other websites or
- Track any Internet searches which you may make while on our website.
What personal information do we collect about you from other companies and organisations?
- We may receive personal information about you from other companies and organisations (for example, for marketing purposes) and we rely on these third parties to obtain your consent for us to use this information.
- Please note that we may make enquiries about you or your organisation for credit reference purposes. At all times where your information is disclosed to us we will protect it in accordance with this policy and keep it secure.
Do we share your personal information with anyone else?
We sometimes use other companies to provide services to you or to provide services to us. To enable them to do this, we may need to share your personal information with them. When we do so, these companies are required to act in accordance with the instructions we give them and they must meet the requirements of the Data Protection Act to keep the information secure.
We may share your personal information with other companies so that they can contact you with details of other products or services you may be interested in. We will only do this if you have agreed to this and where the companies agree to use your personal information for that purpose only. If you have agreed to receive information about products and services from another company and later decide not to you will need to contact that company yourself to let them know. You can of course ask us not to continue to provide your personal information to any more companies in future.
We may provide information, in response to properly made requests, for the purposes of the prevention and detection of crime, and the apprehension or prosecution of offenders. We may also provide information for the purpose of safeguarding national security. In either case we do so in accordance with the Data Protection Act. We also provide information when required to do so by law, for example under a court order, or in response to properly made demands, under powers contained in legislation.
For how long does Macalby Cottage keep personal information?
The time period for which we keep information varies according to what the information is used for. In some cases, there are legal requirements to keep data for a minimum period. Unless there is a specific legal requirement for us to keep the information, we will retain it for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the data was collected or for which it is to be further processed.
How can I find out what personal information Macalby Cottage holds about me?
If you want specific information please tell us and give us any relevant information to enable us to locate the information about you because this will speed up our reply. We may be able to provide the specific information you want without you having to make a formal request.
You can make a formal request if you want to know what personal information Macalby Cottage holds about you. In this case, please put your request in writing and send it to us. Our address can be found on our contact us page.
How can I change the personal information Macalby Cottage holds about me?
If the information we hold about you is inaccurate, please contact us to let us know and we will make the necessary amendments and confirm that these have been made.
How do we protect your personal information?
We are serious about guarding the security of your personal information and the details of any transactions made. We take appropriate organisational and technical security measures to protect your data against unauthorised disclosure or processing.
- If you do register on one of our websites, we may ask you to provide personal details such as name, address, e-mail address and telephone number. We also ask you to choose a password, and to complete a password security question and answer, in case you forget your password for any reason.
- Once you have registered on one of our websites, we may keep a record of your use of any of the services made available via that particular website.
- If you choose not to register with us and only browse our websites, we may gather information to help make your visit to our website more satisfying. However, this information will not identify you personally.
- If you do not wish to register, you will still be able to use most of the services offered via our websites. We will only ask you to provide such information as necessary to enable us to carry out the transaction in question. We will not use that information for any other purpose. You should note that some services are only available if you register on the website first.
If you have registered for any of the services available through our websites you may choose to cancel that registration at any time. You can do this in one of two ways:
- return to the original registration page and following the instructions for canceling the registration or
- send an e-mail to us by completing the feedback form
Please ensure you inform us of the service which you wish to cancel.
If you do either of these, your personal details will be deleted from our website database.
If you have registered you have direct control over information in your personal profile on our website. You can access and change this information at any time by using the indicated link.
Over and above what Macalby Cottage does to safeguard your privacy and security on-line, there are a number of things you can do to protect yourself from Internet fraud:
- Choose a password (letters and digits) you can remember but others will not guess, change it regularly and, if you do write it down, keep it somewhere safe and secure.
- When you have finished your session on our website, make sure you prevent your details being seen by anyone that you do not wish to see them. So, if you have registered and logged in, remember to log off.
- Clear any cache so there is no record of any transactions left on screen – Firefox, Netscape and Internet Explorer let you do this.
- We also recommend you then close your browser so any history of the session is cleared.
- We collect information from visitors to our websites to help us to make improvements to the websites and to the services we make available. We know, for instance, how many visitors there are to each website, when they visited, for how long and to which areas of our website they went. We may share this information with our advertisers and to other companies which offer their goods or services on our websites. It helps to show these organisations how effective our websites are as sales channels for their products. You or any other individual cannot be identified from the information we share as the data is aggregated and anonymised.
We do not use this information to:
- identify individuals visiting our website or
- analyse your visits to any other websites or
- track any Internet searches which you may make while on our website.
A “cookie” is a text file which is allocated by our server to your personal computer (PC) when you visit our website. We do not use “cookies” to collect information from visitors to our websites and registered customers.
Are third party sites covered by this policy?